Here it is! The jacket to my next book, Barefoot in the City of Broken Dreams (coming in August 2015, available for pre-order in June). BITCOBDHartinger

What’s this book about? It’s a stand-alone book, but it also picks up after The Thing I Didn’t Know I Didn’t Know, telling the story of Russel Middlebrook and Kevin’s adventures in Los Angeles, as Russel desperately tries to become a screenwriter. Along the way, Russel meets a whole bunch of crazy dreamers (including the sexy neighbor next door), and he even reconnects with an old friend, Otto Digmore, who is trying to make it as an actor.

I’m biased, but I think this is my best book ever.

It’s also my most autobiographical. It’s not “my” story, but it’s based on things that definitely happened to me when I lived in Los Angeles. (I’ll have more to say about this in a future post!)

It’s a companion book to The Thing I Didn’t Know I Didn’t Know (which is out now), so my designer (Philip Maleczewski) and I went for a “related” look. Here are the two jackets together. What do you think?

BITCOBDHartingerTheThingIDidntKnowHARTINGER

19 Responses to “Cover Reveal: BAREFOOT IN THE CITY OF BROKEN DREAMS (My Next Book, Out August 15th)”

1. Derreck 1 May 2015 at 10:07 pm #

It's not the cover that draws me in. It's the author and the story. But still… it'll look pretty good on my bookshelf. Great to see Otto having a comeback :)

Ah the memories of cuddling up with these books. Memorable. Looking forward to more of em!

• bhartinger 1 May 2015 at 11:08 pm #

Thanks, Derreck! (I think you\’ll be happy with the Otto storyline. It\’s my second favorite part of the book!)

2. Derreck 1 May 2015 at 10:07 pm #

3. jim 3 May 2015 at 6:15 am #

The new cover looks great. Otto back!!! Can't wait to see what he has been up to. Love triangle here? Possible. Should be interested to see Kevin and he meet.. Really looking forward to this. Going to be very nice to have this book for my vacation sitting in the sun on the beach in P-town.

• bhartinger 4 May 2015 at 7:09 am #

Well, no spoilers… But not a love triangle. Been there, done that, right? ;)

Thanks! Glad you like the cover.

4. jim 4 May 2015 at 9:48 am #

Yeah I forgot about that with Colin (grrrr). Did you get the same models that did the cover for TTIDK? They look the same.

• bhartinger 4 May 2015 at 9:32 pm #

Definitely the same models (from the same photo-shoot). They\’ll be on the next cover too. :-)

5. zzz 5 May 2015 at 2:22 am #

Will Min and Gunnar be in this book?

• bhartinger 5 May 2015 at 6:37 am #

Not in this one. Russel, Kevin, Otto, and some (hopefully) great new characters. But Gunnar and Min are back in the next book (out March 2016).

6. Adrian 6 May 2015 at 12:10 pm #

I wish August was here.. tomorrow!

I've read all the books in the Russel Middlebrook series after seeing the Geography club movie. If it hadn't been for that, I would have never known about this beautiful story. I can't wait for this to read.

Good to hear Otto's back. But I do hope Russel and Kevin stay together! I don't think I could handle them being apart again.

• bhartinger 6 May 2015 at 5:57 pm #

I think you\’ll be happy. No more love triangles! Otto\’s (mostly) just a friend now (but he still has an interesting storyline).

7. Logan 14 May 2015 at 12:51 pm #

Oh my gosh I can't wait! I love every one of these books so much I know this next one will be perfect! I already made my brother and my boyfriend huge fans, but they're both getting the book after me! I realize I haven't ended a single sentence without an exclamation point but I'm just so excited! I love Russel and every other character, they're like actual friends.

• bhartinger 16 May 2015 at 4:34 pm #

Ha! Wonderful! Thanks, Login. And I really appreciate your recommending it to your friends. That is soooo nice of you.

8. Will 19 May 2015 at 11:53 am #

As soon as I saw this post after devouring the book- I was like YAY! Kevin and Russell are my relationship goals. Their story is just so real because young love is COMPLICATED. So excited to for the next book, as a fellow 23 year old I live vicariously through Kevin haha. The only thing I struggled with in TTIDKIDK was the scenes of a sexual nature (reference), I understand why but didn't you feel for younger fans the park romp was a bit gratuitous or mature should I say. Can't wait to read Barefoot nonetheless.

• bhartinger 19 May 2015 at 6:24 pm #

Wonderful!

Yes, regarding the scene in the park, it\’s hard to keep all readers happy. But it keep in mind that the new series is more of a series for adults. (The next book is considerably tamer too!)

• Will 20 May 2015 at 12:58 pm #

I guess it's the realisation that characters we grew up with and hold an affinity have indeed grown up. Growing up gay in the digital ME generation does make it a lot harder ( pun intended haha) to deal with issues such as sex and where relationships fit in, so a big thank you for being brave and starting this conversation haha.

• bhartinger 20 May 2015 at 11:47 pm #

Thanks. And I agree it\’s a very tough balance. ;-)

9. Tony 28 July 2015 at 3:46 pm #

Can you share the name of the boys in the cover ^^ (Looking foward for the book!!!)

• bhartinger 28 July 2015 at 6:29 pm #

I would, but I don\’t actually know their names. It\’s a model session that my designer and I picked, but someone else took the photos. I like the look though.