A New Russel Middlebrook Book? Yup! Look for it in December 2014

So a lot of people have been asking me lately if I’m going to write a fifth Russel Middlebrook book. And the answer is … yes! It will be released in December of this year.

At this point, the plot details are top-secret (not really — it’s just that the book isn’t done yet, and I could end up changing things). But I can tell you that it jumps ahead in time, to Russel and the gang in college. It’s a “reboot,” I guess — which makes sense when you consider that all the other series storylines were wrapped up at the end of The Elephant of Surprise.

So what else have I been working on lately? Well, I have a couple of other novels forthcoming, some young adult, some adult — and these projects really are secret, mostly because the publication details haven’t been ironed out yet.

I’ve also been working my butt off on a film adaptation of my play The Starfish Scream (which is another gay teen story, but very different from the Russel Middlebrook books). It looks good that they may film later this year, but nothing is ever definite in movies until the cameras are actually rolling. (I have a couple of other movie projects in the works too, but none of these are this far along.)

For what it’s worth? A fifth Russel Middlebrook book wasn’t really part of my plans, at least not this soon. Those of you who’ve read The Elephant of Surprise know that it’s all about closure.

But the reaction to that last book (and the sales figures!) really changed my mind. I know that a lot of the attention comes from the release of the Geography Club movie late last year. But when an author receives a hundred emails from readers asking for something, he has to be absolute idiot not to listen (!).

Long story short? I’m just incredibly grateful that these books have touched so many people, and I’m thrilled when people take the time to tell me.

A new Russel Middlebrook book? Yup, and you guys are the reason why.

P.S. The other question I’ve been asked a lot is: will there be a movie based on The Order of the Poison Oak? Alas, I don’t have any answer to that.

27 Responses to “A New Russel Middlebrook Book? Yup! Look for it in December 2014”

1. Austin 5 April 2014 at 2:52 pm #

Please Please Please!!!!! Have Russel and Kevin get back together in this book they belong together. I can come up with a celebrity name like Kevssel or Russvin to convince you to get them back together. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Brent Hartinger 8 April 2014 at 7:44 am #

Thanks, Austin! (I think you'll be happy. But keep in mind that if it's too "happily ever after," there's no story!)

• Brent Hartinger 18 April 2014 at 7:32 am #

Lol! I think you'll be happy.

• Austin 19 April 2014 at 1:14 am #

Just finished The Elephant of Surprise and have to say I loved the ending I was hoping that's how it was going to end. Also I have to say that this is the first book series that I have ever finished all the other book series I have tired to read I have always read the first book and stopped, but I have read every single Russel Middlebrook book you have read.

• Brent Hartinger 19 April 2014 at 9:24 pm #

That makes me very happy!

2. Dean 8 April 2014 at 7:26 pm #

I just recently found The Russel Middlebrook books and I just LOVE them. And yes totally Russel and Kevin need to get back together. Thank you so mach for writing this incredible series :D

• Brent Hartinger 9 April 2014 at 7:37 am #

Thanks, Dean. That means a lot to me.

3. steven 9 April 2014 at 12:23 pm #

Hey! I'm still stuck with the 2nd book! Haven't read double feature.. yet. Will otto still be appearing in the 5th book?

• Brent Hartinger 10 April 2014 at 6:22 am #

Yes, Otto is in the 5th book (but it's not a HUGE part).

4. Mark 11 April 2014 at 10:39 am #

I'm just finish read the 4th book!! It was AWESOME!! Good Job Brent Hartinger :)

Waiting for the 5th book… ^_^

• Brent Hartinger 18 April 2014 at 7:30 am #

Glad u liked it! (I think it's my favorite.)

5. Mark 11 April 2014 at 10:41 am #

Waiting for the 5th book ^_^

• bhartinger 5 August 2014 at 7:11 pm #

Thanks, Mark!

6. Bobby 15 April 2014 at 2:20 am #

Just started elephant of surprise. Can't wait for the 5 book keep coming love your books.

• bhartinger 18 April 2014 at 7:33 am #

Thanks, really appreciate that!

7. osutim 2 June 2014 at 1:49 pm #

I am so, so, so glad to hear this. "Geography Club" is the first LGBT book I read as a teen struggling with coming out, and I devoured Order of the Poison Oak immediately afterward. double Feature came out later down the road, and i just finished Elephant of Surprise and I loved it! when i saw that you were putting out another Russell book, I was so excited! Cannot wait to read it! So grateful for these books!

• Brent Hartinger 3 June 2014 at 6:38 pm #

Thank you very much! :-)

8. magnus 9 July 2014 at 2:23 am #

Loved the books. Russel and Kevin are the cutest couple and the first book made me upset after reading it (and watching it when it got adapted to a film). It's taught me about love, acceptance, consequences and not many book do that. It's inspired me to write my own book and I thank you for that.

• bhartinger 9 July 2014 at 10:22 pm #

Wonderful! I\’m so pleased. Good luck with your own book!

9. vini 3 August 2014 at 4:01 am #

I'm sad I only found out about the books after watching the movie. But I just LOVED THEM SO MUCH, I finished the four book in one weekend and zi just can't wait for the next! I've never been this much in love with a book series since Harry Potter. Brent Hartinger, you made my life a lot happier, you are AWESOME!

• bhartinger 4 August 2014 at 6:34 pm #

I really appreciate that! Thank you so much!

10. Austin 26 August 2014 at 12:03 am #

So can you tell us any information about the new Russel Middlebrook book thats coming out later this year?

• Brent Hartinger 27 August 2014 at 5:24 pm #

Hi Austin:

I'll have a full update very soon, but it's (tentatively) titled THE THING I DIDN'T KNOW I DIDN'T KNOW, and it's the story of Russel at age 23 (a year after college), living in Seattle with his friends Min and Gunnar.

It's a book about Russel, but it's also a different kind of book. It's not a YA book, it's an "adult" book. Russel is an adult now, and the story is different too — longer, a bit more sophisticated. Hopefully, I've kept what people liked about the earlier books, but also given folks something new.

As I said, I'll have a full update soon!

P.S. I'm very excited about the book. I hope you will be too!

11. @PimBijlsma 23 September 2014 at 5:19 pm #

OMG, you're actually answering! Well, I've read the first two book in like four weeks and I'm reading the third now! Loving it!!! You're amazing. Hope there's still a way for Russel and Kevin. Also, do you know anything about maybe another movie?

• bhartinger 24 September 2014 at 12:31 am #

Thanks! :-)

No word on the next movie (I think it\’s unlikely although I know they want to do it…)

But I do have another LGBT teen movie in the works!

• @PimBijlsma 24 September 2014 at 5:46 pm #

That's amazing. It's amazing that you reply btw! Why is it unlikely if they want to? Box-office? Well, I'm really looking forward to you other LGBT movie! As soon as I finish the Russel Middlebrook series I'll start with your other books!

• bhartinger 24 September 2014 at 6:42 pm #

Yes, it\’s a question of finances. Movies are really, really expensive, and they have to make a LOT of money to justify sequels. Alas!