Russel Middlebrook’s Sex Life? Yikes!

the-real-story-300x480So a couple of weeks ago, I released my free short story Two Thousand Pounds Per Square Inch – part of the Russel Middlebrook Series, but also part of The Real Story Safe Sex Project, my new project devoted to fighting HIV/AIDS and promoting safe sex among gay and bi guys.

Some of the feedback I got was that my intentions were good, but it needed something more.

So I did what many writers do whenever they’re criticized: I decided to add more sex!

Truthfully, I’ve always been kind of reluctant to go too deeply into Russel Middlebrook’s sex life. The books in the Russel Middlebrook Series have more of a sweetly romantic vibe than an outright sexy one. And I’m basically sort of a “fade to black” kind of guy anyway.

But after adding the sex scenes to this short story, I thought: No, this is good! This is part of exactly what I’m trying to do with this project. I want to help make it okay for gay and bi guys to talk more openly about safe sex. I’d be a hypocrite if I didn’t do that too.

Plus, sex sells, right? So why not use it to sell safe sex for a change?

Truthfully, it also gave me a chance to revisit Russel’s relationships with Kevin, Web, and Otto a little bit. I learned things I didn’t know.

Anyway, I’ve uploaded the new short story to Amazon (and all other platforms). It’s still free, so check out the links below. (Keep in mind that the story is very sexually explicit. If this isn’t your thing, please keep away.)

Oh, and if you like the new story (and agree with my message), I’d appreciate a kind word or two on Amazon or GoodReads, and maybe a reTweet on Twitter. Why not help spread the word?

Update 1/28/14: So far about 25 of your favorite authors and/or filmmakers have volunteered to contribute stories or videos to this effort (and more are coming each day!). Check back here to see the results of their work. And if you’d like to join them, we’d love to have you, so contact me!

10 Responses to “Russel Middlebrook’s Sex Life? Yikes!”

1. Christian 15 January 2014 at 8:17 am #

im actually quite glad you wrote this! Good to read! And lets be honest, after everytime russel never said what he did, your readers just always had that thought of "OMG WHAT DID HE DO?!?!" So now im glad ^_^

• Brent Hartinger 15 January 2014 at 8:30 pm #

Ha! Thanks. Well, now you definitely know… ;-)

2. Gerardo 17 January 2014 at 3:17 am #

Hello I am from Venezuela, South America. just thanks for your great work as a writer. I saw the movie geographyc club and inquire about you and your books. I declare myself a follower and admirer of your work.

I am very interested in reading your books. Spanish language publishing in any distributed it?

you can not imagine how many followers you have latin america.

att: Gerardo Acosta

• Brent Hartinger 17 January 2014 at 8:47 am #

Hi Gerardo:

The only book of mine available in Spanish is THE LAST CHANCE TEXACO (I think!). But I hope the others get published there too one day.

Thanks for the nice words. That means a lot to me.

3. Matt Wilkinson 19 January 2014 at 11:28 pm #

Hi Brent

I too am a great follower of your writings. And the above is definitely right – sex definitely does sell! Keep writing. Thanks

• Brent Hartinger 20 January 2014 at 7:24 pm #

Thank you, Matt!

4. Daniel 9 February 2014 at 11:29 pm #

Hi, Brent!

Thank you so much for this. I'm a big fan of The Russel Middlebrook Series. I'm from México. I hope to read your books in my language someday, but that's ok because you've helped me to improve my english (I think, ha).

Keep writing these awesome books. I'm excited to see (or read) what's coming for Russel! :-)

• Brent Hartinger 11 February 2014 at 10:45 pm #

Thanks, Daniel! Appreciate the support!

5. Jesse Colton 19 July 2015 at 11:18 pm #

I really enjoyed reading the sex scenes, because it felt like it was a peek behind the curtain at the things that were only hinted to have happened in the previous books. I mean, I assumed there was a blowjob at the picnic gazebo, but I didn't really know for sure. Also the information was really helpful! I'm a 20-something gay man and even I didn't know a lot of what was in the short story. So I think the sex balanced the story a lot: little bit of excitement, little bit of responsiblity, etc.

• bhartinger 21 July 2015 at 8:20 pm #

Thanks! Appreciate hearing that. :-)