Two New Interviews: On Career and Craft

Whenever I’m asked to do an interview, I always think, “What, little ol’ me? Why I do declare, I don’t have anything to say!” Then I open my mouth, and I end up jabbering on forever.

Anyway, here are two new interviews for those who haven’t already had way too much of my jabbering:

This interview with my friend Cynthia Leitich Smith at her blog Cynsations is mostly about my career as a writer.

Meanwhile, this interview over at Carpe Keyboard is mostly about the craft of writing.

9 Responses to “Two New Interviews: On Career and Craft”

1. Gwen 31 July 2012 at 6:04 pm #

I laughed so hard when I saw the 'I hate writing' comment. People don't understand that writing is hard, hard work. Friends ask what my hobbies are, I tell them I write, and they don't get the time commitment, the agonizing over characterization, or the constant rewriting.

For what it's worth, I've always believed that success favors the tenacious.

• Brent Hartinger 31 July 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Thanks. Maybe I'll turn that into a full essay. :-)

2. Karen 6 August 2012 at 12:15 pm #

Thanks, Brent, for the interview and the plug here! Loved interviewing you — especially because you were honest about things. Writing is hard. First drafts suck. So reassuring to hear those thoughts come from someone who has found success in this art form.

Thanks, again, for your time and for sharing your talent.
    Karen

• Brent Hartinger 8 August 2012 at 6:53 pm #

Well, thank YOU for asking…

3. Tim O'Leary 6 August 2012 at 10:18 pm #

Haha! Best line ever: "We all think we're geniuses. We're not."

So hard to admit, but so true. ;)

• Brent Hartinger 8 August 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Alas, yes. :-/

• Malavi 16 August 2012 at 4:54 pm #

I think a lot of writers have the opposite problem. They think they write nothing but self-indulgent rubbish, when they're actually quite good. The argument about writers being bad critics of their own work still stands, though.

• Brent Hartinger 20 August 2012 at 5:52 am #

That's a really good point. I wonder if there's not a bit of gender difference — that guys are more likely to think they're geniuses, and girls are more likely to think they're not.

As a guy, I was definitely in the "full of himself!" camp.